Wednesday 2 December 2015

Practicing Rebeccas design for the first time.



Today I practiced Rebecca's Elizabethan hair design for the first time. We practiced this design during a practical session with Helen. Due to Rebbeca having dreadlocks in her hair, she had to find and bring in a model for me to practice on work on for the final assessment. So in this practical session I worked on the model provided to me, my models hair texture was very long, thick and straight in texture. When I first saw the models hair I thought it was really beautiful but the thought of attempting to create my partners design with her hair length was intimidating. I felt intimidated because prior to this practice session I had practiced curling long, thick hair on a classmate and the outcome was that it was possible but very time consuming. I started to create my partners design on my model as instructed and had her design on the mirror which helped guide me. My partner had already decided that she wanted the hair texture of her design to be in a curl texture only but, as I started to create the design, adding volume with the technique of back combing and also curling and pinning the hair individually It became impossible to create the shape of the buns my partner wanted with the hairs texture. Helen came over and observed the technique, design and outcome I was trying to achieve and suggested to my partner that I may be better of crimping the hair before curling and backcombing it as my models hair was very soft and it would need more then backcombing for it to hold the shape I needed to create the two buns.

Unfortunately, I was unable to try this method in the practical session as styling my models hair alone had taken up a lot of time, this is something I had begun to worry about in consideration of the final assessment. In response to this Helen suggested we find a way to prep my models hair before hand prior to the assessment so that I could save time and concentrate on creating the actual design. I felt very relived when Helen said I would be able to do this, but the only thing I then had to worry about was fitting in time to prep more models hair before the assessment and making sure the three of us were all available to do this as the model usually has lectures the day of the assessment. In response to this we all looked at our schedules and realised me and my partner were available but my model wasn't. In response to this I emailed Sharon to see if it would possible to leave earlier from the morning seminar we had with her, the day of the assessment so that I could prep my models hair in the morning before the assessment. Fortunately, my models lecture was cancelled and also we didn't have to attend Sharon's lecture that day as there were only tutorials. Next time I practice my partners design, I will use the technique Helen suggested, crimping the hair first and then curling so that when I begin to back comb the hair the shape  will stay intact and be more manageable for me to form into the correct shaped buns.










No comments:

Post a Comment